DB Specific Record_2
Close

This site uses cookies. No personal data is stored. You can read how we use them in our cookies policy. Continuing on this site accepts their use. Thankyou.

Viewing swaag.org website implies consent to set cookies on your computer. Full details Swaledale and Arkengarthdale Archaeology Group
Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number 1155775
SWAAG Honorary President:
Tim Laurie FSA

Another Search

Scroll down the record
 *****SWAAG_ID***** 227
 Date Entered 13/06/2011
 Updated on 04/02/2012
 Recorded by Tim Laurie
 Category Settlement
 Record Type Archaeology
 Site Access Army Range
 Record Date 01/01/2005
 Location Low Feldom
 Civil Parish Marske
 Brit. National Grid NZ 114 040
 Altitude 320m
 Geology The Main Limestone
 Record Name Deserted medieval Village at Low Feldom, Marske CP
 Record Description This site was first recognised and described by T.C.Laurie, 1990. Catterick & Feldom Conservation Group Monograph, 1990. pp7-12 "West Feldom-The Archaeological Background". See Plan �E.�. The remains of the small medieval hamlet at Low Feldom are located in pasture between the now abandoned 19C farm buildings at Low Feldom and East Feldom Farms. Nine rectangular buildings have been recognised (Laurie 1990, Plan E) although Wessex Archaeology list just six. Individual buildings range in size from 26m*6m(Building 2)and 19m*7m (Building 1), 20m*5 (Building 4) to 13*5 (Building 5). Various other structures, small enclosures and a field system, once more extensive, have been preserved in the vicinity of the hamlet but have been cleared by later ploughing in the adjacent improved pastures, see Wessex plan fig 4. The nettle covered midden at the south end of Building 1 has produced sherds of pottery provisionally dated to the 12/13 C. VCH records settlement with arable land at Feldom from the 13C. Other stone walled enclosures which overlie an earlier, RB or prehistoric settlement (Wessex Figure 3) which are also likely to be medieval have been recorded in the Gill below Low Feldom Farm. This complex of sites was surveyed to modern standards by Wessex Archaeology Wessex Archaeology Clapgate Gill, Feldom Gate Archaeological Survey Report, January 2004. This survey report was commissioned by Defence Estates.

This was resurveyed in 2012 by Gill Savage click here to view.
 Dimensions See survey details.
 Image 1 ID 804         Click image to enlarge
 Image 1 Description Deserted Medieval Village between Low Feldom and East Feldom Farms. Google Historical Image.
 Image 2 ID 1064         Click image to enlarge
 Image 2 Description West Feldom. Catterick and Feldom Conservation Group Monograph 1990. Cover page.
 Image 3 ID 1065         Click image to enlarge
 Image 3 Description Low Feldom Deserted Medieval Village. Plan E. Extract from Laurie 1990.
 Image 4 ID 1066         Click image to enlarge
 Image 4 Description Low Feldom Farm. Settlement on knoll below Farm. Extract from Laurie 1990.
 
Another Search